After a long, hard day at work, at the gym, in the garden or wherever else you spent your time getting sweaty, dirty or sore, taking a nice soak in the bath can be the best way to relax and get clean, and one of the last things you want to deal with is a leaky faucet. Whether you notice the dripping as you enter the bathroom or when the incessant dipping just won’t stop after your tub is filled with hot water, it’s an issue you need to address in the near future.
This issue is usually caused by a worn out O-ring around the valve stem – before you roll up your sleeves to get to work, make sure you shut off the water to your bath. Once that’s been handled, it’s time to start working.
Supplies You’ll Need:
- Replacement O-ring
- Silicone grease
How To Replace The O-Ring:
- Unscrew the faucet handle and remove it.
- Unscrew the escutcheon plate and remove it from around the faucet.
- Loosen the bonnet nut inside the housing that’s holding the faucet stem in place.
- Take your pliers, take hold of the valve stem and pull it out of the faucet housing.
- Take out the O-ring currently in place on the valve stem.
- Coat your new O-ring with a little bit of silicone grease before sliding it down around the valve stem.
- Slide the valve stem back inside the faucet housing and tighten the bonnet nut back up to reassemble your faucet.
- Reattach the handle and escutcheon plate.
Now you’re all set! If this doesn’t solve your problem, you may need to call in a professional to assess the situation. At bluefrog Plumbing + Drain, our team of professionals is ready to provide the assistance you need any time of the day, any day of the year. Fill out our online map with your address to find your nearest bluefrog Plumbing + Drain location, or give us a call at 888-794-0341 to set up your free home consultation today.