The holidays are fast approaching! And with them, friends and family members stopping by for dinner or just for a quick visit. You might have gotten used to dealing with a faulty plumbing system, but your guests shouldn’t have to go through that! There is nothing more embarrassing than having to explain to your guests that they need to “jiggle the handle on the toilet” to get it to flush. The only bathroom-related answer you should be giving is: “second door to your right.”
The toilet is not the only thing that needs attention during the holidays. Other parts of your plumbing system need to be in tip-top shape to avoid a catastrophic holiday at home. Who wants to deal with a clogged sink, a slow drain or a garbage disposal that’s not working as it should be?
In order to avoid the embarrassment of less-than-ideal plumbing situations, there are a few things you can do around your home:
- Check for slow drains. They need to be thoroughly cleaned to avoid a seriously clogged drain.
- Make sure your toilets are flushing properly. If you need to “jiggle the handle”, it’s time to call a professional plumber in your area.
- Do a thorough water heater inspection. Check for rusty water, any rumbling or noises, leaks or a lack of hot water. You don’t want your guests to run out of water mid-shower!
- Is your garbage disposal working? Avoid grinding coffee grounds, eggshells, bones, glass, oil, rubber or metal. Don’t forget to run cold water while you’re using it!
- Test for hidden leaks. Nothing says “embarrassment” like a hidden leak that has warped your floors or stained your walls. Hidden leaks need to be addressed as soon as possible to avoid extensive water damage!
- Call a plumber for an inspection. While there are certain things that you could definitely DIY around your home, your plumbing system is better left to a professional plumber. They will be able to assess the situation and make any necessary repairs.
Contact bluefrog Plumbing + Drain
It doesn’t matter where you live, chances are there is a bluefrog Plumbing + Drain near your area. Trust the expert plumbers in our team, so you can have a disaster-free holiday season.
Image by Asier Romero for Shutterstock